Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Swedes!

In Uppsala (Sweden) it is forbidden to speak Finnish if you work for the city. Two Finnish speaking workers were chatting in a corridor, in Finnish, when they were told that they are not allowed to do that at work - anywhere in the building. I don't know what it is with Swedes when it comes to hearing Finnish spoken. "We can't tell if you are talking about us", has been the reason I've heard. It's intresting. If I hear people speaking a language I don't understand I never begin to ponder upon if they are speaking about me or not. If someone wants to speak about me, s/he will do it anyway - they just make sure I won't be hearing it. If it's forbidden to speak Finnish, it should be forbidden to whisper too... how can you tell what people are whispering about.

No comments: