Thursday, January 20, 2005

My Home Is Where My Laptop Is

When I years ago moved to Sweden, I found it very hard to live there in the beginning. I didn't know the language well enough to be able to communicate with a cashier or a mailman - or anyone. The local accent was incomprehensible. And I constantly missed all my friends back in Helsinki. It took me about a half year to get over the worst misery. Then I started to like living in Sweden and now that we moved away from there, I feel like I left my home behind.

I miss Gothenburg and my friends there. I still miss my friends in Finland too.

To start a new life here in Japan is another story. I am so busy with the kid that I have no time to feel myself lonely or unhappy. Not that I would have any reason to feel like that either. The language barrier between me and the rest of the society is higher than ever before, but I don't suffer because of it. People are so extreamly friendly here.

I guess if you have once survived being an alien somewhere, you will be at home anywhere.

No comments: