Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Kafka Meets Bach

Everytime I send a parcel at the nearest post office, I get totally 'lost in translation'. My fantastic ability to ask someone in japanese if they have children's shoes doesn't help at the post office's counter at all.

Now I thought I'd figured out what to say and do to avoid seeing that very tired look on post person's face, I found a brand new situation: the person asked me in his apprixomate english (not finglish this time though) if I wanted to send the parcel as an express mail. I said yes - he made it sound like I had no choice. 'Ooops', I thought when I saw what it costed but I didn't want to take my hard decision back. Then the guy asked me (my guess) what's inside the parcel and I told there are a dog's Happi coat and two handkerchiefs. He pull immediately out a very important looking paper with many different little boxes to fill in with addresses, desriptions, numbers and maybe even crosses... 'Oh boy', I thought and once we'd managed to fill in all that was supposed to be filled in, I left the post office promising myself not to tell what's in parcels I send or to send them express.

Oh by the way: we have a beautiful thunder roaring just above us right now and I happen to listen to Bach's Toccata and Fugue. They are perfect together.

2 comments:

Timorous Beastie said...

Ooh, the Bach and thunder sound great. I picture you looking out over a thundery Tokyo skyline (because of course you live in a high-rise with big picture windows and a view of the city, don't you?) I got caught in it with no umbrella :-(

Liisa said...

Tim, you must be psychic, I always stand by that huge picture window when I wait for my butler to fix my drink.