Saturday, October 07, 2006

Art And A Small Room

Last night I went to an opening of an exhibition at a gallery in Aoyama. The weather was as bad as it was earlier, but going somewhere didn't feel impossible because I was able to leave the kid home.

The exhibition was good. I don't think art that I would define good had to be done with skill and good technique, but every time I see en exhibition that "talks to me" and one can see the the artist is really skillfull, it gets number of extra points from me. This was the case last night.

I was there with my Japanese friend and we went to have sushi when we left the gallery. I am panic-eating sushi. I eat it like the end of the world would be knocking on my door - and a way it is. The end of my housewifing period in Tokyo is definitely ending and also my access to Japanese sushi. All the same, sushi was good, like it always is.

Then we went to Shibuya for a drink. Since another Japanese friend told me about this tiny area next to Yamanote Line (X marks the spot), where you can drink in a tiny, little, closet sized bar - as soon as you've been able to decide which one you enter, I have wanted to go there and sit in one of those claustrophobic interiors. We did that.

The bar we picked up wasn't the most crowded (that's why we went there). The only beer they sold was white beer from Belgium, we had that. The most unexpected thing happened: a Japanese man started to talk to me!!! And in English!!! Now I've seen it all and I can leave Tokyo with no regrets.

No comments: