Sunday, December 10, 2006

Berries and Suicides

Trees and bushes are full of berries this year. They say it's a sure sign of a coming especially cold winter. We will see if that's true. So far this been the warmest and rainiest winter in 40 years, during my life time.

I wouldn't put my money on betting for white christmas this year.

We spent the weekend at my mother-in-law's. On the way there our train killed a man. Just before our station there was a sound of a food processor under the train, then the train stopped and a shocked voice announced that there had been an accident. Then came two abulances and the police. Ambulances left the place and the police begin to inspect the scene and pick up pieces of a former human being. After hour's waiting another train stopped next to ours. We hopped on that one and soon reached our destination.

Everyone's guess was that the crash victim commited a suicide. For him, I assume it was a man, it was a quick end. He got what he came for. For the chap who drove the train it was a terrible tragedy and he will surely see the accident happening before his eyes for the rest of his life. I think it's cowardly to commit a suicide: everyone dies for sure anyway. But I guess you don't give a shit about your own cowardliness if you are determined to end your life, all the same, it's double cowardly to make someone unwilling do it for you.

2 comments:

Timorous Beastie said...

I think if you want to end your life, fair enough, it is yours to end - society's taboos should not limit someone's freedom provided that they are not harming anyone else. It's that last bit that makes jumping in front of a train so wrong though - poor driver.

Liisa said...

Yep, the driver sounded really shocked.

I was too. I kept thinking that there had been children playing on the railroad (for some reason I am constantly worried about children) and it was them who died, but everyone assured me, it was an adult who had chosen to be hit by a train.